Oil Sight Glass Replacement
By Andy Newell
I'm a formerly certified tech who changed careers in 1997. The easiest way to change a K bike sight glass:
- Wait for the next oil change.
- While bike is on center stand, with oil filter plate removed.
Lay down on LH side of bike with a flashlight and a screwdriver at least 12" long.
- Look up into the engine through the oil filter hole, from ground level from the left side of the bike.
- Look at the light coming through the existing oil window.
- Position screwdriver carefully on the center or in one of the ribs that let oil into the glass.
- Tap out the oil window with a long screwdriver using your HAND ONLY.
- The seal will fall out and a new one is easy to install.
From my experience, I would suggest a very light coating of clear sealer, (same stuff used for timing covers) and waiting 24 hours for the sealant to sealant to cure BEFORE putting in the new oil.
Using the technique of sealing and not putting any fluids in until the next day, was one of the best decisions I ever made as a tech. It virtually eliminated comebacks for oil/water pumps and timing covers.
Try it, you might like it.